Operating systems run your computer!
There are lots of innovative OS projects but only a few are really used.
Aside from Linux, Windows, MacOS and derivatives… https://www.ipredia.org/os/
- An operating system that claims to provide advanced system debugging, a next-generation file system, networking and visualization.
- is a Rust operating system with a microkernel-based design.
- A ‘universal function’.
- A hobby project written by a single person.
- Written to accompany mntmn’s custom hardware.
- An operating system that transforms a Raspberry Pi into an Arduino. effectively.
- interesting approach to architecture
- An operating system generator based on NixOS.
- A next-generation Lisp machine.
- An OS written entirely in the Forth programming language.
- An operating system that prides itself on building everything from source. https://ocharles.org.uk/posts/2012-07-09-leaving-gentoo.html https://www.paritybit.ca/blog/my-beginnings-with-gentoo
- Qubes OS
- An operating system that isolates every application and device on the computer, granting permission to each only when necessary. Many journalists and security professionals rely on this.
- An operating system designed to completely sandbox your activity inside of a virtual machine.
- Defer to Devine’s notes on the subject.
- The most popular alternative Android operating system, built off of CyanogenMod. https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/starlte/install https://www.reddit.com/r/degoogle/comments/gu2kk9/lineageos%5Fvs%5Fe%5Fvs%5Falternatives/
- An operating system designed to function efficiently on older, refurbished devices. Built on LineageOS.
- NixOS Mobile
- A full port of NixOS to a mobile platform. It’s built on top of many previous efforts and relies on a tool to convert GTK applications to mobile equivalents.